HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Positioning new items

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 377

PostSubject: Positioning new items   Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 pm

This tutorial assumes you already know the following:

~how to use blender
~how to create a mesh in blender
~how to export the mesh into ogre format
~how to convert the xml mesh to useable format
~how to code items into I.T
~how to alter a campaign and load items into it

OKAY

Let's start by downloading the master .blend files already located on this site. They contain just about everything you need to make just about any item you want.

Now, what item do you want to create and where would you like to attach it?

around the neck = head1
on the head or around the face = head2
around the whole body = main
around the waist or across the back = spine1
on the buttocks or around the hips = spine2
around the tail = tail4 and tail5
the tip of the tail = tail6
left front leg = arm3.l
left front paw = arm4.l
right front leg = arm3.r
right front paw = arm4.r
left eye = eye.l
right eye = eye.r
left rear leg = leg3.l
left rear paw = leg4.l
right rear leg = leg3.r
right rear paw = leg4.r

There are many other bones to chose from, you can check them out by opening the .blend file 'magix'.

Knowing which bone you want to attach an item to will cut down on a lot of repeated mismatching and what not.

Let's say I want to create an antenna item. like a robot antenna. I'd like it to stick out from the top of the head. The best bone to do this with is obviously head2.

In our .blend files are some items that use this bone as well. such as the helmet.blend which contains some horns. Those will work perfectly! they are already positioned on the top of the head so there's much less guess work already!

Move the helmet from layer one to an empty layer and move a set of horns to layer1. You should now see something like this:

Obviously it won't be exactly like this, I've already changed my horns many times lol. See how the horns are now on the same layer as the bone? this is desirable. It makes it easier to export later.

Since my antenna only needs one mesh, I'll only edit one side of the horns. I removes all but the last row of polygons and then extruded till I had a length on mesh that was easy to work with. I connected the newly open end together and then added some ctrl+r cuts to make more verts. Shaping as I went. This isn't the only way to create a mesh and you are welcome to do it however you like. The point is, by retaining some of the original meshes verts, i didn't have to re-assign a weight and bone to the mesh.

I went ahead and added a texture too. this is a good time to texture wrap if all the parts of your item are using the same texture (which they should :\ lol) Notice I left the other horn untouched. This will help position the antenna.

From the side view, i know the antenna is low enough it won't float above the avatars head. From the front view I can see it is not in the center of the skull.

The center point should be between the antenna and left-behind horn. Let's just ssslliiddee that right on over.

there we go. lookin' good. Now the horn is finally run out of purpose. it can be deleted. If your item will remain as 2 horns, you can skip sliding over your new mesh and instead duplicate it. a x or y axis mirror will turn it to match the original and you can use the unedited horn to position it perfectly. then delete the horn.

ah. much better. you can now rename the mesh and it's materials and then export it (remember to return to object mode and select moth the mesh and the bone for the object to export properly).

If you haven't already, code the item into items.cfg and alter a campaign file to load the item onto the player unit. (i use a tutorial with no text but you can make your own if you want)

save, obviously. now run the game and play the campaign to see how the item looks.

Hymn. well it isn't floating. that's a good sign. but it's clearly off-center a little and I'd like it to be a little more forward. (oh, it's animated to flash slowly. lol)

Back in blender, I adjust accordingly. since I know I edited the left horn, clearly i must push it closer to the right to center it properly. I can bring it forward to about as far as the center of the bone before it's floating off the head.

I make the adjustments and re-export the item and test it again.

It's perfect!

Change the head in the campaign from head1 to head3. just to be sure it looks nice on all the games heads.

No floating? no floating! the item is now aligned perfectly!

Now, yes. for this one item it only took 2 tests to get it aligned properly. but it can take many many more. Esp if you are working on an item that attaches to a bone that none of the .blend files currently use. It took some 13 or more tries before I have the low horns positioned perfectly (and it still kinda bugs me that they come out the ears lol).

Last edited by Hamilton on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:41 am

THANK YOU ALOTS T_T !!!
Back to top Go down
Dinnieh

Game username : DinWolfie // Dinnieh
Server : Server ghost
Female Posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

ffffff-
I have a fair idea of coding the item into IT, but it doesnt work. Could you give me a talkthrough? please?C:
Back to top Go down
http://www.dinnieh.deviantart.com/
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:25 am

best talk though about meshing is google x.X?

there's way too many tutorials on how to make 3d stuff + ogre
Back to top Go down
Dinnieh

Game username : DinWolfie // Dinnieh
Server : Server ghost
Female Posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:31 pm

exsactly, sly.
Im self taught, I pretty much do anything by luck/chance that I come along it. Or little easy tut's that I usually come across. Razz

ALSO: i get an error everytime I try to put my helmet ingame, It states an ogre exception 5, Animation something like that Razz -Doesnt animate-
Back to top Go down
http://www.dinnieh.deviantart.com/
Moonlight~{Wildcat26}

Game username : Wildcat26 (All IT servers & FH)
Server : Explorer Core
Female Posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:42 am

I'm able to get the mesh exported, and even works fine as an object in-game, but when I try to equip it, I get this error:

Spoiler:

No idea what I am doing wrong...Help please? x3
Back to top Go down
http://wildcat-26.deviantart.com/
Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:03 pm

The mesh was not given the animation state for the trigger "Equip".

For IT, the meshes must have a skeleton/armature assigned to them and they must be given two animations. "Equip" and "Floor". They don't need to be length animations, just one frame will do.

If you followed the tutorial, you shouldn't need to create a new armature thanks to kovus files. When you are ready to export, select both the mesh and armature and then load the exporter script. It will recognize the armature is there and you can add the animations by hitting the "add new" button that appears. Add one for "Floor" and one for "Equip" and then export the mesh.

An error may crop u here that says "vertex without bone assignment". if this happens, just re-weightpaint the mesh to the bone.

If you worked from a new project and not kovus files, you will have to add a armature in the same menu where the add new mesh is located. Then in object more for the mesh, add a modifier of an armature and name it 'armature'. if the name vanishes, you spelled it wrong, just a heads up.

after that, select the bone and then shift-select the mesh to have both selected. move to weight paint mode and begin coloring the mesh in with the tool. when the whole thing is red, it is weight painted and ready to be animated.

open a new area to the action editor mode and add new in the drop down. change the name to "Equip" or "Floor", either is fine. Do this a second time for the one you didn't do the first time.

select the bone and change to 'pose' mode. move the bone till it's in a good position for whichever animation state you are doing first. hit the 'I' key and select "locrot" or "visual locrot" to set that position as the animation state in frame one.

Change the action editor to the other action you have set up and do the same thing. the mesh can now be exported and tested. it should not error any further.

Alter the frame one animation state position for "Equip" to change the position the mesh will be in when you have it in the game. You will have to re-export the object every-time you make a change here.
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 am

Hami I have a question about Manes, tails and other body parts that requires all the animations.

Is there a way to add all the skeleton animations without having to select all 50+ animations one at a time xD Just curious..

Also is it possible to have a moving Item/Object that isn't a prey?
Back to top Go down
Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm

I currently do not know a method of mass-selecting the animations (it sure would come in handy, though! lolol).

And I'm not sure. I remember when redeye gave me a quick explanation of the code used in the items.cfg file that one of the end digits indicates a secondary animation. But I don't remember if it was a setting for any item or just the particle items. I also have no idea if it would automatically pick up on the animation state that was in the skeleton files or if the game itself has to be coded to recognize the new animation (I'd wager yes on that for now).

I really should have saved that information...it was pretty useful...apparently lol
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Male Posts : 2575

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Code:
itemMesh;itemName;itemBone;itemIsPrivate;itemHasOffset;itemHasAltAnim;itemParticle;itemParticleOffset;itemParticleOnNode
^this

vthat
Code:
itemMesh;
itemName;
itemBone;
itemIsPrivate;
itemHasOffset;
itemHasAltAnim;
itemParticle;
itemParticleOffset;
itemParticleOnNode
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:30 am

ty babe ^w^

yes=1
no=0
?
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Male Posts : 2575

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 am

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 pm

..I saw what you did there.
Back to top Go down
Komaeda Nagito
Very Helpful
Very Helpful

Server : IE
Male Posts : 1320

PostSubject: Re: Positioning new items   Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:43 am

Id like to add for those who want things such as tailfire to be on the tip of the tail(or arent sure what numbers to use to offest it) like tailfire blue and tailfire is you need to add a few numbers if you didnt use the exact line as a already made tailfire. For example

tailyellow;Tailfire Sunrise;Tail6;1;0;0;TailYellow;0

Is positioned like this on the tail

If you want it on the tip insead of like that change the item to this

tailyellow;Tailfire Sunrise;Tail6;1;0;0;TailYellow;0 2 0

This is how it looks now

If you dont want it exactly on the tip of the tail change 0 2 0 ----> 0 1 0

Just some maybe useless FYI information in case anyone didnt know how to get it on the tip of the tail and didnt think to use the original tailfire 0 2 0 at the end. Didnt think this was important enough to throw in tutorials so i put it here.
Back to top Go down

Positioning new items
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Tutorials-
Jump to: