HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Hosting a server external?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
danielheris

Male Posts : 15

PostSubject: Hosting a server external?   Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Heyho,

now i know there are tons of tuts of how to host IT on your own comp and many people offering to host the servers.

However, i cant find any tutorial on how to host the game external, via rental server.

Can anyone explain what service i would need to look for and how to set up everything so there can be an actual 24/7 server running?
I know it would be a backend server and that i probably have to find a service hoster who would be willed to make a fair price for the data transfer of a lil game.

However i have absolutely no clue about servers, hosting, setting up. I just talked to people who have a bit of a clue and thats now what i know: Backend server, there might be things hard with the data transfer (like, the info where a character sits and stuff) u know what i mean?

Well,

thanks for ya time.

And NO i dont look for someone else to host it, i want to mannage everything myself Sad
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: Hosting a server external?   Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:23 pm

If you hire a rental server then you will need external access and many places don't grant such a thing. Otherwise you will not be able to edit any player data files, use presets, add/remove staff powers, fix broken skills etc.

The best thing to do if you can't use your own computer is to just get a little old computer - laptop or otherwise - and use it as the server. It doesn't have to have a lot of space or power to run a server, no sirree, so don't think it does.

Just a little old laptop you were gonna throw away or something will do the job just fine. If you can keep that laptop plugged in and powered on 24/7 then problem solved. :3

(If you are under legal age and living with a guardian/parents then make sure you have parental permission for internet usage/modem routing for the server first!)
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
danielheris

PostSubject: Re: Hosting a server external?   Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Yah thats the thing, my roommates dont want it plugged in and suck power 24/7, they already think its a dumb idea for "this lame game", so thats no option here.

I dont understand why there are so many people offering to host, but yet it seems too hard to find any provider who grants access to the files? well how do these other hosters doing it then? They probably have the laptop solution? bleh i dont want that Sad
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: Hosting a server external?   Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:42 am

A lot of the people here on KITO who offer hosting use their own computers or a spare and are willing to take on the responsibility of altering player data files on your behalf.

Although I think Myz offers hosting with a little side program that lets you access your server files easily and remotely.

A lot of external server places will grant you access, but I told you most didn't. What I meant was most won't grant you secure access - once your files are on their server they are open to many, many people so...

Perhaps ask Myz if he's still offering hosting? It will cost you I think. It all comes down to where you trust your files to. -shrugs-
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
danielheris

PostSubject: Re: Hosting a server external?   Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:42 pm

I understand. Thanks. I will see what i can do then Smile
Back to top Go down
Nakti
®
®

Game username : Nakti
Server : World of Pandora
Female Posts : 164

PostSubject: Re: Hosting a server external?   Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 am

You can uses VPS on windows, if you find something of suitable cost. I tried a few hosters, and never saw any that didn't grant access to files. It's a server...
If you can compile server for Linux, you can look for VPS on Linux, they are more popular and less expensive.
Back to top Go down

Hosting a server external?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support-
Jump to: