HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

help on doing semi-transparent retextures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oppa

Game username : Big Bang/Oppa
Server : Animal Kingdom
Female Posts : 43

PostSubject: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:04 am

Well it would be nice if my server can have some semi-transparent items (crystal looking items) but I don't know where to start. Anyone know how to do semi-transparent retextures?
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

Game username : ObeyTheFist
Server : Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 am

First off you need a paint program that can handle transparency, such as Photoshop, GIMP or Paint Tool Sai. Do you have any of these or know anything about opacity?
Back to top Go down
http://dragonsden.freeforums.net
Oppa

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:11 am

ObeyTheFist wrote:
First off you need a paint program that can handle transparency, such as Photoshop, GIMP or Paint Tool Sai. Do you have any of these or know anything about opacity?
i only have GIMP and SAI. Also this other program called paint.net
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Okay, I'm not sure if paint.net allows transparency, so I suggest using GIMP or Sai. I don't use either of these programs, but you can easily find tutorials for transparency or semi-transparency regarding both programs.

Something universal with textures containing transparency is that they must be a .png file!

There are others that also handle transparency, but png is the most recognised across media platforms.

To achieve semi-transparency in-game then you also need the right scripting in your material file near your lighting for ambient, emissive etc. For basic semi-transparency you need:

scene_blend alpha_blend

DO NOT add alpha_rejection or you will get full transparency and your texture will be virtually worthless.

For any further help regarding transparency and its scripting I suggest you visit the Ogre 3D forum.

Hope that helps!

~Obey~
Back to top Go down
Oppa

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:27 pm

alright I'll give it a try
Back to top Go down
Oppa

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:09 pm

ObeyTheFist wrote:
Okay, I'm not sure if paint.net allows transparency, so I suggest using GIMP or Sai. I don't use either of these programs, but you can easily find tutorials for transparency or semi-transparency regarding both programs.

Something universal with textures containing transparency is that they must be a .png file!

There are others that also handle transparency, but png is the most recognised across media platforms.

To achieve semi-transparency in-game then you also need the right scripting in your material file near your lighting for ambient, emissive etc. For basic semi-transparency you need:

scene_blend alpha_blend

DO NOT add alpha_rejection or you will get full transparency and your texture will be virtually worthless.

For any further help regarding transparency and its scripting I suggest you visit the Ogre 3D forum.

Hope that helps!

~Obey~
hm it didn't work for me, Can you send me the code for the material on how it's supposed to look like? Sorry i'm bit of a noob at this.
Back to top Go down
Oppa

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:34 am

wait nvm fixed it!
Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:32 am

So you've got it all working now?
Back to top Go down
Oppa

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:56 am

ObeyTheFist wrote:
So you've got it all working now?
well uh sort've.. i got it to be semi-transparent but i'm not that good at retexturing. I'm trying to go for this crystal look.
This is what came out..

but when i change my eye color to blue then yea it looks better

Back to top Go down
ObeyTheFist

™

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:56 am

For an IT server you need to set the opacity level of the texture quite low... I'd set it at 30% and see how it looks then. You've really just got to play around with the numbers until you're happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help on doing semi-transparent retextures   

Back to top Go down

help on doing semi-transparent retextures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support-
Jump to: