HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Unity Engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nefadozone

Game username : Nefadozone
Server : Fucko McShitpo
Male Posts : 176

PostSubject: Unity Engine   Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Reposted from my message to someone on Skype, I am now extremely curious about everyone's opinions on this engine.

No need to censor, water down, or even sugar-coat any of your replies. I really want to have a high brow conversation about this with more than just one person. If you know anything (or just have a reply that relates to the following message) then feel free to respond.

Looking to converse about this publicly here so that anybody else with even remotely similar feelings (even if they aren't going to use Unity) can see thoughts and opinions on it.

Quote :
I want to hear some more opinions on Unity, so I was looking to see if you have any personal experience + history with it + knowledge that I may not have.

I've already gotten comfortable with c#, not so much javascript but that's not that big of a deal right now. I understand simple communications from a client to multiple linked servers, and I've been practicing with Unity for a few months.

People have been telling me that I'm making a mistake using this engine, yet I've only had fun with creating shit since the beginning - no headaches yet other than Boo and javascript which I certainly need more practice on. (both of those languages are not required of me to make what I need to make)

Starting a fresh project, working on it for 2-3 years, putting out alphas as time progresses - I am capable of the vicious process that is creating a MMO. I've had many, many networking assets gifted to me by my mother who is in college for graphic design - among with two other people who have also purchased assets for me in the past (if I didn't purchase them for myself already anyways). Much was learned, and there is much left to learn from all of those coding examples.

My complaints with IT were that I hated it and I hated using someone else's code. As I learned Unity more and more, my discomforts with tossing myself back a hundred steps were really nailed in. And now that it feels good to open it up and either work on a new project or open up an old application I spoofed around with, I have many telling me I'm in the wrong - using the wrong engine, the wrong tools, learning the wrong everything.

I do not want to use any other engine if it means learning and becoming comfortable with functions of a specific one all over again. My mind is still open, it's not like it's possible for me to know everything with only a few months of dabbling - but this is my comfort zone and I don't think there's such a thing as a wrong engine for something unless it's packed with bloat-content that's never even accessed by the executable.

Unity.. smartfoxserver(or whichever middleware I choose for this).. + me = basic feral/impressive bullshit mmorpg?

Cons? Bad idea? Bad engine?

Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://wildmidnight.boards.net/
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2575

PostSubject: Re: Unity Engine   Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Their marketplace answers what I need to know about Unity. You'll end up spending a considerable amount of money before ever starting your devlopment and it is easy to spend a lot of money without ever getting a game developed.

Unity doesn't provide a game framework but you have to buy one or develop one and provide an AI for yourself.

I am currently a fan of Unreal instead and in the progress of setting up a forum for a project for this purpose. In this, for me, kito will die.

Game username : Nefadozone
Server : Fucko McShitpo
Male Posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Unity Engine   Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm interested in this project you speak of, and yes - assets, assets everywhere. assets to eat, assets to drink, assets to ass. I have a couple pretty foliage packs. Things I could most likely make on my own.

My current project is going to be retro, with 'ps1' style levels and zones. 75% of my time is going to be meshing, texturing, animating, setting up particle systems, and the media. Performance wise, I'm not asking the engine I use to do a lot. Just don't look like rat garbage and don't piss out memory.

Unity is a noob magnet (sorry gamemaker, not today) and I've had trouble getting simple support questions answered via the forums because if you're not used to being spoonfed 700 million thousand new concepts at once then good luck trying to get a quick word of advice for how to explain to the engine that yes, you'd like to have a cookie. but not the largest cookie in the world. can i get to this cookie, without jumping over a mile long pit of lava, or no? because other people have obtained this cookie before with ease--- and so forth.

This sort of thing doesn't happen always, but it happens often enough for me to take great notice to it.

MonoDevelop is extremely comfortable to work in, instead of visual studio.

but

There's a multiplayer kit for unreal (i've spoken to the maker of that about it a few times for inspiration), the pathfinding and what not was all explained to me. I've found plenty of tutorials with that engine itself, probably enough to /make/ a game in it. I'm interested in unreal's real time netcode testing, since it's also been used as a backbone for mmorpgs before.

So far I've learned that compiling your entire game in unity is necessary before you can test any networking aspects, at all. Very annoying, apparently you don't have to do that with unreal. That's an expensive hit on time.
Back to top Go down
http://wildmidnight.boards.net/

Unity Engine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: