HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Any name suggestions for my new puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
milkynova

Female Posts : 50

PostSubject: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:35 am

Since my dad's younger dog ate her puppies last week (which i dunno why and its really tragic for me), dad's older sister said of the family decided to give one of her puppies to me. They were also born on Memorial Day so the puppy is turning 6 weeks this week! My mom is planning to get a female puppy and spay her when she gets older (just in case she gets lose and we live in a dog owner neighborhood XD). I don't know which one we're adopting, but 2 of the puppies are pure white, 2 of them are are white with gray/brown patches & 2 are white with black patches. (total of 6 puppies)
  I'm thinking of naming her Charlotte or Roxie and my mom is planning her to name her Panini. Which name should we name her? bounce

A) Roxie

B) Charlotte

C) Panini

D) Other name

And also, I checked my calendar, and the puppies are actually 5 weeks old now. My aunt told me that the puppies are also beginning to wean from their mother (who's name is Diamond because she has a diamond-shaped mark on her forehead). Is that a bad thing? Because I don't want to adopt the puppy to early because she's gonna miss out on social and behavior skills, but at the same time, she has my older dog, Sandy to look up to... :/

Last edited by Mizuki on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://xysii.deviantart.com
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2575

PostSubject: Re: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:13 am

Mizuki wrote:
   Since my dad's younger dog ate her puppies last week

What...

Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Cloud, Daydream
Server : None
Female Posts : 614

PostSubject: Re: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:37 am

RedEye wrote:
Mizuki wrote:
   Since my dad's younger dog ate her puppies last week

What...

I thought that too xDD Miz said that she researched it and that mother dogs did that if they didn't feel as if the puppy was strong enough or didn't think the puppy was hers. I personally thought that they threw the puppy out of the nest but cannibalizing? xD
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolfozo

Game username : ShadoWolfozo
Server : GROWL: Spirits
Male Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Never heard of dogs or any other canine, particularly mothers, eating their pups. They may simply reject them, as many animals do if they have too many and can't sustain them all, or one/some look like they will not last long, but cannibalizing sounds strange. I mean simply killing them, then... well maybe... Are you sure something else didn't happen to them?

Also, the mother starting to wean them at 5 weeks is relatively normal. To the best of my knowledge; the recommended timeframe they should be kept with their mother is 8-10 weeks, after which is perfect time for adopting them so they've been weaned properly, had long enough time with their mother and then have the remainder of their puppyhood to adapt to their new home and 'parent' (you). However, a lot of dog breeders will try and shove them off at 6 weeks. This is too early

The pups need to be at least 8-10 weeks old or they may develop serious issues such as massive fears from a wide variety of things, ridiculous anxiety issues and so on as a result of the trauma of being separated so young. It may not sound like much but the 2-4 weeks extra does mean the difference. 

One of my dogs, a 5yo border collie (so an intelligent dog), we believe may have been younger then we were told as he suffers from an insane amount of fear from thunder (retreating into tiny, dark areas with no concern about hurting himself or others- we once found him in the pantry lying on glass bottles, some of which were broken :/ ) and suckles in his sleep as well as sucking on my arm (if I let him) which are indicators he was separated too early.

Regarding social/behavioural skills, your other dog will more then likely teach the pup them, so you shouldn't worry about this.
Back to top Go down
milkynova

PostSubject: Re: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:12 pm

ShadoWolfozo wrote:
Never heard of dogs or any other canine, particularly mothers, eating their pups. They may simply reject them, as many animals do if they have too many and can't sustain them all, or one/some look like they will not last long, but cannibalizing sounds strange. I mean simply killing them, then... well maybe... Are you sure something else didn't happen to them?

Also, the mother starting to wean them at 5 weeks is relatively normal. To the best of my knowledge; the recommended timeframe they should be kept with their mother is 8-10 weeks, after which is perfect time for adopting them so they've been weaned properly, had long enough time with their mother and then have the remainder of their puppyhood to adapt to their new home and 'parent' (you). However, a lot of dog breeders will try and shove them off at 6 weeks. This is too early

The pups need to be at least 8-10 weeks old or they may develop serious issues such as massive fears from a wide variety of things, ridiculous anxiety issues and so on as a result of the trauma of being separated so young. It may not sound like much but the 2-4 weeks extra does mean the difference. 

One of my dogs, a 5yo border collie (so an intelligent dog), we believe may have been younger then we were told as he suffers from an insane amount of fear from thunder (retreating into tiny, dark areas with no concern about hurting himself or others- we once found him in the pantry lying on glass bottles, some of which were broken :/ ) and suckles in his sleep as well as sucking on my arm (if I let him) which are indicators he was separated too early.

Regarding social/behavioural skills, your other dog will more then likely teach the pup them, so you shouldn't worry about this.

Alright, I just don't want my puppy to have behavior issues and fears of stuff. And I'm sure my older dog would be a great step-mom to her. All I need to worry about now is puppy-proofing the whole house and buying pet supplies. XD
Back to top Go down
DavidStrides

Game username : DavidStrides
Server : None
Male Posts : 49

PostSubject: Re: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:35 am

I don't know too much about a dog eating their young at a early age but I used to have a cat who gave birth and whenever her kittens would die or she felt they weren't going to make it she'd eat them in half, which I thought was nature doing it's thing. I did however look it up to see what might cause it in dogs and I mostly found this-

"An inexperienced mother dog (dam) may not recognize her puppies as being her own offspring. In addition, dogs who have had cesarean sections may also fail to recognize their offspring because of the lack of hormones produced during a natural birth. Newborn puppies move erratically and make high-pitched sounds. These behaviors mimic the actions of prey animals, such as mice. Some dogs, especially terriers and terrier mixes, have a rodent-killing heritage. Although any dam can cannibalize her pups, these dogs may instinctively be compelled to eat their puppies if they fail to recognize them as their own.

It also could be - Mastitis is the inflammation of the dam’s teats. The infected teats may be red, swollen and hard or hot to the touch. Although very serious, mastitis can be easily treated. When puppies clamp down to suckle, the dam may feel enough pain to cause her to reject the puppies. On some occasions, the pain is sufficient to cause the dam to become aggressive to her puppies and to kill and cannibalize them.

Or Stress - If a mother is stressed or fearful for her litter, these negative emotions may trigger aggression. This aggression may be directed toward the puppies and result in cannibalism.

In nature, when one or more members of a litter are unhealthy or stillborn, they put the rest of the litter at risk. A dam’s instinct will tell her that she must remove the unhealthy and stillborn puppies from the den. Most of the time, domestic dogs will simply reject unhealthy puppies, pushing them away from the nest. They may carry stillborn puppies away from the nest or “bury” them someplace in the house. However, if instinct takes over and the puppies are young enough, the dam might kill and eat unhealthy puppies, as well." - Dogcare.Dailypuppy.com

It seems there are tons of reasons to why she might've eaten them, which is kind of intriguing, at least for me, but best of luck with your puppy! I think Roxie sounds pretty for a dog name but Charlotte would be just as good, really depends on what the dog looks like.    
(Sorry for the long post)
Back to top Go down
milkynova

PostSubject: Re: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:29 am

DavidStrides wrote:
I don't know too much about a dog eating their young at a early age but I used to have a cat who gave birth and whenever her kittens would die or she felt they weren't going to make it she'd eat them in half, which I thought was nature doing it's thing. I did however look it up to see what might cause it in dogs and I mostly found this-

"An inexperienced mother dog (dam) may not recognize her puppies as being her own offspring. In addition, dogs who have had cesarean sections may also fail to recognize their offspring because of the lack of hormones produced during a natural birth. Newborn puppies move erratically and make high-pitched sounds. These behaviors mimic the actions of prey animals, such as mice. Some dogs, especially terriers and terrier mixes, have a rodent-killing heritage. Although any dam can cannibalize her pups, these dogs may instinctively be compelled to eat their puppies if they fail to recognize them as their own.

It also could be - Mastitis is the inflammation of the dam’s teats. The infected teats may be red, swollen and hard or hot to the touch. Although very serious, mastitis can be easily treated. When puppies clamp down to suckle, the dam may feel enough pain to cause her to reject the puppies. On some occasions, the pain is sufficient to cause the dam to become aggressive to her puppies and to kill and cannibalize them.

Or Stress - If a mother is stressed or fearful for her litter, these negative emotions may trigger aggression. This aggression may be directed toward the puppies and result in cannibalism.

In nature, when one or more members of a litter are unhealthy or stillborn, they put the rest of the litter at risk. A dam’s instinct will her that she must remove the unhealthy and stillborn puppies from the den. Most of the time, domestic dogs will simply reject unhealthy puppies, pushing them away from the nest. They may carry stillborn puppies away from the nest or “bury” them someplace in the house. However, if instinct takes over and the puppies are young enough, the dam might kill and eat unhealthy puppies, as well." - Dogcare.Dailypuppy.com

It seems there are tons of reasons to why she might've eaten them, which is kind of intriguing, at least for me, but best of luck with your puppy! I think Roxie sounds pretty for a dog name but Charlotte would be just as good, really depends on what the dog looks like.    
(Sorry for the long post)

I believe it was stress that caused my uncle's dog to eat her own puppies. It was also her first litter. My mom explained to him that female dogs have to wait until their third heat to breed them. I don't think any of the puppies were sick, they all looked healthy to me and the mother didn't had Mastitis, her teats looked perfectly fine also. So my conclusion was that it was stress since she was a first time mom. But as they say, you learn from your mistakes. If one of the white puppies are female, I'll name it Snowflake (if it isn't sold already... :/)
Back to top Go down
milkynova

PostSubject: Re: Any name suggestions for my new puppy?   Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:11 am

UPDATE!:
I talked to my mom about naming the puppy and she told me that she's planning to name her Biscuit. I told her that I would like to name her Roxie, but my mom said that the names "Sandy" and "Roxie" sounds to alike and can make the dogs confused on who you're calling to. So I asked her about the Charlotte and she said that it's a perfect name for the puppy!

If you guys still would like to suggest more names, you can. For now, the puppy's name is Charlotte. And I'm going to post videos and pictures of Charlotte once we adopt her.

And I might get Charlotte this weekend! We're going to my cousin's bday party at my grandma's this Sunday! Very Happy And my mom was talking to my aunt on the phone and said "I'll meet you down there since I'll be already down at Grandma's house"
I think my mom is picking up the puppy at my aunt's house, and then go my cousin's bday party at my grandma's house. She also told me that she's going grocery shopping tomorrow too, so I think she might be buying pet supplies while she's at Walmart.

Remember I'm theorizing this, so I might not get the puppy this weekend. My mom might bring it home next weekend, but who knows? :3
Back to top Go down

Any name suggestions for my new puppy?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: