HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

So you want to retexture?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Draak
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

Game username : Draak
Female Posts : 681

PostSubject: So you want to retexture?   Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 am

I'm going to attempt a how to retexture as I can't find or I'm blind a Retexturing tutorial on here.

I'm also going to assume that you're going to have some knowledge about IT and its files. In particular Material files. And that you know your way around an art program, like GIMP, SAI, Photoshop etc.
I personally use Photoshop and SAI but you can use whatever, though I wouldn't recommend using MSPaint. MSPaint isn't really made for retexturing...well you can use it but it'd look...hm.

Also I am not going to explain and tell you how to do fancy stuff with the mat files here. There's a nice guide here: Click you can use these codes in all mat files, not just presets.

There's an easy way to retexture and a hard way. The easy way entitles just a simple texture override while the hard way involves taking the texture and turning it into it's own thing. As in turning it into a new critter or item.

SOME TIPS:

Try not to floodfill/paint bucket + layer effects. It's lazy and most of the time doesn't look so good. It's not wrong, but it won't really get you anywhere in the long run.

Detail is your friend. Flat colour can sometimes look boring, especially when it comes to textures. A paint bucket'd, plain, pink mouse with no detail looks unsightly.
If you add in some shading, muscle detail, feather or fur or scale textures it can really make the texture pop/look awesome. Even your bright pink mouse.

Using textures from Google Images can make your texture look even greater just for added effects. For example on my Magma Dragon, I overlayed a rock texture to make it look more like cooled lava. Of course you can always try to "wing it" for detail, but sometimes an added texture on top of it can really make it shine.
Just be careful and make sure there's no copywrites or anything on them and that they're free to use.

Using Photoshop or some other expensive art program does not automatically make you produce incredible art. You can make just as great art with free art programs. It's the person behind the program that makes it great, not the program.

Practice, practice, practice.

THE EASY WAY:
This "Easy Way" works for both items and critters, so I'm not going to be separating them.

1) Open up your art program.

2) Go to your IT folder and pick out a texture from the textures folder. Make a copy of the image/file just in case.
(It's best to use the original IT animal/item textures as a base/guide. Do not use custom textures or textures other people have made.)

3) Open the texture (not the copy you made) you want to work with in your art program.

4) Go nuts. You can do anything from simply giving an animal extra markings, to creating a whole new animal or creature just by using the texture. Eg. turning the zebra into a horse, or the eagle into a phoenix and so on.

5) Save it, but do not give it a new filename. It must keep it's original name for it to work.

6) Go ingame to view your texture, and it should be there.

NOTE:
- Only YOU can see that texture, unless you share it with others.

CRITTERS:

THE HARD WAY:
Here's where things get a bit more complicated. This is where I'll explain how to make individual textures so they don't overwrite existing ones. I'll also separate it into Critters and Items.

In order to do the "hard way" you must be familiar with editing and working with the cd file on top of making material files.

Do steps 1 to 4 from the "Easy Way" method. Here's where things get harder. I'll use my Magma Dragon as an example, as it was based off the Zombie Dragon.

1) Save the file but this time use a DIFFERENT filename. Now that you have a completely separate texture, pull up your textures folder, and leave it there. This is just for crosschecking filenames.

2) Creating a new Material file in the scripts folder:
Open up another window with the Scripts folder. Now, you can either make a completely new Material file OR just add onto an existing material file. Adding onto existing material files is a bit faster.
Completely new material files can be made just by copy pasting an existing Mat file and renaming it. Give it a name like "SomethingAnimalMat" (In my case it was MagmaDragonMat).
Delete the contents and replace it with a new Material file. (What I generally do is find the original mat file that goes with the critter and copy paste it in.)
For example I copy pasted the zombie dragon's material file into the new material file to make one for the Magma Dragon:

Obviously, change the material name IN the file as well as any corresponding texture filenames.
Save the file.
Adding onto existing material files is pretty much skipping making a completely new material file, and just copy pasting into an existing material file. With the Magma Dragon I would just simply copy paste into the zombieDragonMat file and change what I'd need to.
Code:
material zombieDragonMat
{
   receive_shadows on
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         ambient 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
         diffuse 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
         specular 0.010000 0.010000 0.010000 1.000000
         emissive 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
         alpha_rejection greater_equal 128
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         texture_unit
         {
            texture dragonzombieTex.png
            tex_address_mode wrap
            filtering trilinear
         }
      }
   }
}
material MagmaDragonMat
{
   receive_shadows on
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         ambient 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
         diffuse 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
         specular 0.010000 0.010000 0.010000 1.000000
         emissive 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
         alpha_rejection greater_equal 128
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         texture_unit
         {
            texture MagmaDragonTex.PNG
            tex_address_mode wrap
            filtering trilinear
         }
      }
   }
}
Save the file.
(What you do is up to you, either way works. Also double even triple check all the file names and such match. It IS case sensitive.)

3) Making the separate critter.
What you will need for this is the xor decryptor/encryptor This thing. DON'T GO EDITING AND TINKERING WITH EXISTING SERVER'S CD FILES. IT IS GENERALLY CONSIDERED HACKING.
I'm going to be blunt here and say I am not going to teach you how to use this, if you don't know, read the post about the de/encryptor.

Open up your decrypted cd1 text file.

Once again find the original critter's section/part in the file to use as a base. It's pretty much exactly as you did with the Material file.
I used the Zombie Dragon's for the Magma Dragon. Copy paste it inside the cd1 file.

The red asterisks indicate the most important part of the cd file that needs to be changed, this MUST match the critter's material file, or it will turn out white. You MUST use the material file name that's INSIDE the mat file, NOT the name of the mat file itself.
While still in the cd1 file you can alter the critter's health, drops, healing and so on. Don't forget to give it a name.

Once you're done, save the file AND re-encrypt it.

Open up the game and spawn the new critter and providing everything has been named correctly in the mat file and cd1 file it should work and you will have a new critter.

ITEMS:

As I said before, when it comes to retexturing items, it's pretty much exactly the same for the "Easy" way.
The "hard" way is very much different, and like the "Hard" way for the critters, this enables you to have a separate item.

THE HARD WAY:
Credit goes to Slycan who's actually made a tutorial about this previously. Which is here: Click So if you don't wanna read this you can just watch the video tutorial she made.
You will need:
Ogre Command Line tools
Notepad++

1) The Texture.
Go about making a new item texture as you would if you were making a critter texture the "hard" way. Which is making a completely new texture, with a new filename. Once you have your texture move onto step 2.

2)Making a new mesh.
This is one of the most crucial steps in order to have a separate item. But don't panic you will not need blender or superfantastical meshing skills. You're just duplicating an existing mesh.
I'll be using a vial I made for one of my ocs as an example.

Get the original mesh that corresponds with your new texture. In my case it was a test tube mesh.

Open your Ogre Command Line Tools folder. DO NOT try to open up the .exe files, you don't have to do this.

Now copy paste that mesh file into the Ogre Command Line Tools folder. Rename it to something like *meshname*3.mesh. I had to change mine to testube8.mesh.

Drag it onto the OgreXMLConverter.exe. Yes ONTO.
What that should do is give you an xml file of the mesh you just dragged on there.

Open up that xml file with Notepad++ and you'll get a lot of scary looking coding. However the only thing you have to worry about is this line:
Code:
<submesh material="testubeMat8" usesharedvertices="false" use32bitindexes="false" operationtype="triangle_list">
Namely material="whatevertexhere"
Change the text between the quotation marks to something that suits the mesh, generally I just have it match the mesh name. What you're doing here is making it so the game will know what material file corresponds with that mesh.
Save the xml and go drag it onto the Converter again.
Now you will have the new mesh that you can put in your models folder or whever you keep item meshes.

3 Making the corresponding Mat File.
This is pretty much exactly like how you did with the critter retexturing, how you can either make a completely new mat file or add the new mat file to an existing one. So I won't be re-explaining it.

But what is important here, is that you must take the mat file name you gave to the new mesh (in the xml file) and use it in the material file or the texture will not work. With mine, I just added onto an existing material file:

Don't forget to add in the texture filename.

Save it.

4 Adding it to the Item.cfg
This is where you give the item it's name. And is the final step to adding it to your game.

Find and open your Items.cfg file.

Instead of typing out a new line, the best thing to do is to find an item which also uses the same mesh and copy that.
For example because I made a new test tube item:
Original:
testube1;Red Test Tube;Head1;0
Edit/New:
testube8;Christian's Vial;Head1;0

My knowledge about this cfg file is limited. But what we have here in that line of text is: the mesh name; Item name and then I'm not exactly 100% sure what the others are for. I wouldnt mess with them or change them, just to be safe and avoid derps.

Save the cfg and go spawn the item ingame to see if it worked.

Last edited by Draak on Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Taryn673

Game username : Taryn673/BestKeptSecret
Server : Impressive Secret
Female Posts : 116

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Mon May 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Very helpful, Draak!
Thanks for the tutorial! c:
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

Game username : FagonStar
Server : Impressive Whatchamacallit
Female Posts : 1060

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm

AGYHSTFSYDW

Thank you for those tips. <3

Thank you sooo much~ <3
Back to top Go down
Draak
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 pm

(8

I just hope it works and is easy to understand.
Back to top Go down
RatchetD

Game username : Spottedlion10
Server : I am everywhere, but not always there.
Female Posts : 25

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 am

Genius....

For critters, I would just mess them up.. but now I know! THANKS!<3
Back to top Go down
Draak
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 am

Finished and Updated it with item stuff.

Item stuff I hope works, mostly cos I don't do it as often as critter stuff.
Back to top Go down
TechnoWulfeh

Game username : TechnoWulfeh
Server : Too many to count.
Female Posts : 185

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 pm

How come my item seems to spawn underground? It's a bracelet, and I wanted to put both left and right, so that could have thrown me off... why is it doing this?
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2575

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35 pm

The Floor animation determines how the item will be placed on the ground

Game username : TechnoWulfeh
Server : Too many to count.
Female Posts : 185

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:46 pm

I don't understand... I spawned it in default? Hmm.
Back to top Go down
Draak
Texture Artist
Texture Artist

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:35 am

That has nothing to do with item retexturing so I have no idea.

Item retextures do not change the "Floor Animation" or any animation at all.
Back to top Go down
WindRunner

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks Draak, I been trying to re texture animals ^^
Back to top Go down
CryKlawz

Game username : CryKlawz
Server : Last World
Female Posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: So you want to retexture?   Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Nice,
Thanks for posting the tutorial~