HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Making threads to link to banned members content grants an automatic ban
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

FH source code becoming public?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Slycan

Game username : Sly
Server : KITO
Female Posts : 1198

PostSubject: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:35 pm

http://feral-hearts.deviantart.com/journal/Recent-backlash-on-KovuLKD-Update-368214625 read the comments too
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=34812.0

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

Male Posts : 353

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:34 pm

-
It's just going to be (if it gets released, which I doubt) repeat IT.
Everyones going to want a server, people are going to find a way to obtain one,
people will throw threats and drama around at each other, and in the end we'll all just get bored with FH again. c:

Last edited by xRubyx on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CWalk_43
Watched

Game username : CWalk43
Server : Sanctum of Eventide Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Isn't this impossible?

From what I've heard, KovuLKD lost the source code in a computer crash, and apparently never backed it up anywhere else, so it's lost to the ages, or so I was told

That might also be the reason why FH has never been updated since 2 Christmases ago

Also, there was nothing new in those dA journal links that hasn't already been said before
Unless I sped-read the post too quickly, I didn't see any mention of the source code of FH being released in that journal post?
And looks like Nowe didn't leave after all
And reading that second link, looks like you all need to get that, "Only special people to have this and this and this" mentality out of your line of thinking...although I do agree that 13-year-olds shouldn't run public Multiplayer servers lol

Last edited by CWalk_43 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://sanctumofeventide.us/
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm

CWalk_43 wrote:
Isn't this impossible?

From what I've heard, KovuLKD lost the source code in a computer crash, and apparently never backed it up anywhere else, so it's lost to the ages, or so I was told

That might also be the reason why FH has never been updated since 2 Christmases ago

Also, there was nothing new in those dA journal links that hasn't already been said before
True,
but I've heard a number of things about the source, so we can't really just go off of "he said/she said" here.

I still doubt it's going to be released but hey.
I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
CWalk_43
Watched

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:46 pm

I've added a bit more onto my previous post if you would like to read it

And the source I heard this from actually did used to work for FH, but I will let her post more information herself if she wants

And I still don't see where the linked dA post mentioned the source code for FH being released...
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:50 pm

It was in the comments;

*SoullessDawn 5 hours ago Hobbyist
Facebook? Come on, can't he give FH to a loyal worker or co-owner? I really don't want to see it die as ImpressiveTitle did.
-
*Nala91 5 hours ago Hobbyist Digital Artist
He isn't giving it away, when his new game feral tales is finished it will be open source.

And Nowe left KITO, not the entire internet.

As for the source, I've heard that it's lost, and that it's not, many times over by 'close' sources, so I honestly don't know what to believe there.
Back to top Go down
CWalk_43
Watched

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Ah, I'm about to leave, so I had to leave the comments until later ; D

So this actually has nothing to do with the FH source code at all, this is about a different game...

I'd say the fact that the game hasn't been updated in years is ample evidence that it's lost...or that nobody gives a shit about the game's upkeep
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 pm

CWalk_43 wrote:
Ah, I'm about to leave, so I had to leave the comments until later ; D

So this actually has nothing to do with the FH source code at all, this is about a different game...

I'd say the fact that the game hasn't been updated in years is ample evidence that it's lost...or that nobody gives a shit about the game's upkeep

See that's the thing, that comment can be misleading as to whether we're talking about FeralHeart or FeralTales (a facebook game)

And yes, the game is probably not going anywhere, though I've made a few things to try and keep it interesting, as I just learned how to finally get model modifications to work in FeralHeart. :\
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

Game username : FagonStar
Server : Impressive Whatchamacallit
Female Posts : 1060

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Bah release the code!

*gets popcorn* This gonna be gewd.

But on a more serious note, if he does release the source code, how would someone decide who to give it too?

And why shouldn't he, he apparently doesn't have enough time to update the game so why not teach people a lesson in just how hard it is to run a game. ;D /shot
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Remember when Kovu decided to give the IT source code to only Flametail? ITr compiler if you guys don't remember :3

I'm quite happy that didn't stay that way, or we wouldn't have the awesome servers we have today.

Also, according to Redlinelies, Kovu offered the source code to him about a year or so ago, so the thought of the code being released has seemed to cause a big of an uproar as to exactly who should be owner of it. FH need more than pretty maps at this point :3 needs actual coder(s) comfortable with OGRE that can fix bugs.
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Slycan wrote:
Remember when Kovu decided to give the IT source code to only Flametail? ITr compiler if you guys don't remember :3

I'm quite happy that didn't stay that way, or we wouldn't have the awesome servers we have today.

Also, according to Redlinelies, Kovu offered the source code to him about a year or so ago, so the thought of the code being released has seemed to cause a big of an uproar as to exactly who should be owner of it. FH need more than pretty maps at this point :3 needs actual coder(s) comfortable with OGRE that can fix bugs.
There are upsides and downsides to the releasing of the IT source.
Upside, yes, we get all these great servers.
Downsides; drama, hacking, people getting frustrated because it's just not enough for them. People just take, take, take. No consent for anyone but themselves anymore really.
-
To be honest though, a lot of people say their favorite server was ITr.
Why?
Because it was the only server.
All their friends were there, there wasn't all the server to server drama, no threats and hackings, it was just easier.
Sure, there are now loads of new servers all with new features like body selectors and such but, to be honest, if there was only 1 server, somehow I think these features would have made their way into it at some point.
-
I agree though, that someone needs to get the source and make upgrades to it.
Though I'm not sure what bugs FH really has, I thought most, if not all, of them were fixed with that update 9 million years ago.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Slycan is right, and besides the main complaint I've been seeing is that most people won't be able to use the code.

The same goes for IT servers, but if the source was never made public, then we wouldn't have the awesome servers we have now, now would we. ;D

Besides, spectacular failure, stealing and hacking come with almost all things we enjoy.

Even the pokemon community has these problems.
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

" there are now loads of new servers all with new features like body selectors and such but, to be honest, if there was only 1 server, somehow I think these features would have made their way into it at some point."

I'd have to disagree, ITr had the most pathetic staff team I've ever had to wittness myself being part of for too long.
There was no agreeing or disagreeing, it was simply what the owner wanted, period. Nothing would have gotten done, in short, it was in the position FH is is now. Too many staff, no leadership.

Edit - very sorry, I'm too opinionated when it comes to ITr :3 I agree, people just want a 1 single stable game they can rely on to visit friends.
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Slycan wrote:
I'd have to disagree, ITr had the most pathetic staff team I've ever had to wittness myself being part of for too long.
There was no agreeing or disagreeing, it was simply what the owner wanted, period. Nothing would have gotten done, in short, it was in the position FH is is now. Too many staff, no leadership.
Mind you, not all of ITr's staff were pathetic, but I'll give you that for some, if not most, of them. xD

But I was using ITr as an example of how it would work out if there was just 1 server, not being ITr itself. ITr wasn't going anywhere, I know that.
But if you have the right staff, then 1 server should be all that's needed, giving us the, as you said, "1 single stable game that we can rely on to visit friends," but that just brings us back around to the fact that no one seems to have the right staff.
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 pm

My question is how do you find that single person who "does it right"?

Drama, hacking, people being selfish, stealing, all of this is completely unavoidable.

Regardless of whether or not the source is in the hands the private or the public.

If the source is private, people will hack to put stuff they want in game.

If the source is public, people will hack each other to create drama.

Besides, sometimes it's better to have variety.
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 pm

mhm :3
In FH,
if the staff don't like you,
if you have been banned
if you think you could do it better
if you just hate how the game is over all

you are screwed,

In IT ,
if the staff don't like you,
if you have been banned
if you think you could do it better
if you just hate how the game is over all

you can go to another one :3

IT is like Minecraft, sure it's the same game no matter what server you go to, but sometimes you simply like how one person manages it versus how another person does ^_^

Also doubt FH source code would be any harder than IT's, if not easier, since FH is essentially a remake of IT.
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Male Posts : 2575

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

I enjoy the creative solutions and content coming from the new servers.

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Hackers and thieves were in the Original IT too.
Back to top Go down
CWalk_43
Watched

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm

FaganStar's been saying exactly what I've been thinking so far, so I kinda hiccuped and fell off of this thread

And I've said this here before, but: Hackers, thieves, etc. are going to exist on every game, that's the risk you take with running one
And yet again, if you are stingy in any way about your art, don't fucking upload it to a public place where it can be easily-taken
Back to top Go down
Delete me.
Coder
Coder

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:43 am

I'm not denying that you won't face hackers and thieves, of course everyone will.
I agree, you shouldn't assume that people won't steal your shit, they always do.

But the source being free and so easy for everyone to use creates problems, often more than solutions.
We get servers, yay.
They actually do something with their server, create new things, yay.
I'm not saying that it's a bad thing and it should never happen again,
I just think we should all be aware of the problems it causes as well.

Because as soon as you get 2 servers up, you get that one guy who runs around, "Server 2 is better than Server 1. :I"
And suddenly Server 1 is mad at Server 2.
Then Server 3 & 4 hop in, and Server 3 is run by close friends of Server 1, but Server 4 thinks Server 2 never did anything wrong.
Now we have a real problem, and it becomes more widespread as more servers are created. It can start with 2 sides of an argument, then all it takes is one little thing for it to split into a 3 way disagreement.
Suddenly it turns into a problem for everyone, making it hard to even enjoy the game anymore.
Back to top Go down
CWalk_43
Watched

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 am

I'd say the benefits outweigh the hindrances

After all, if someone isn't "deserving" of running a server, their server will simply fall in on itself due to incompetence of course, and only the servers ran by people who know what they are doing will stay up for more than a few months...similar to what has happened with IT
Are these "lesser" servers run by nincompoops taking away from other, more "qualified" servers? No Are they taking away business from other servers? No Are they making the community scream and whine and cut themselves in despair? Not unless you have something wrong with you

People can have their opinions, one person's opinion isn't going to reflect the appearance of a server nor its community as a whole
Over on Sanctum of Eventide, we allow opinions to be said out loud about our server, both good and bad
If there is a user in our Default map claiming that some server is better than ours, we just shrug and grin at our 7,000+ (or is it 8,000+ now Edit: Apparently approaching 9,000, whoops) member count

If one server gets mad at another for what one member said...perhaps they should graduate high school first

The members won't give a shit about the server staff squabbles, all they will care about is the content and game features

I got lost with the rest of your hypothetical situation and don't see how it would be a big deal if that did happen, sorry
Friendly competition is always more fun, I always say

But I've got the attitude of a stoner
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:10 am

I don't know, I think everyone would have said the same about it.

Besides, evidence says otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 am

I think KITO community, no, the entire IT community has been doing a great job nip'n art and model thieves in the booty :3 Hackers aswell are faced with being exposed constantly, and isn't tolerated at the least.

If it's one thing I know about this community is that people fear being looked down upon and disgraced, as it could lead to a whole community hating you... and worse as I've seen. Thankfully, in most hacking and stolen content cases, people seem to learn from their mistakes.

This is why many servers, and people, become good and gone eventually with enough exposure, if they can't learn that is :3

onowl wrote:
The FH source is not going public or open source. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. Only two people have it right now.

And we're not giving it out like candy.

ArokaiHeart

Back to top Go down
FagonStar

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:25 am

Ah, I wouldn't try to say FH's source is never going to get released.

Kov did release IT's source after FH was completed. :3

Besides, the release of the IT source wasn't a disaster, TheServerThatShallNotBeNamed was. /shot
Back to top Go down
Slycan

PostSubject: Re: FH source code becoming public?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 am

No no no one is gonna shoot down anyone, I think Fagons just saying Kov said he wouldn't release IT ever as well at one point in time.People change their minds but Kov seems pretty certain he won't be making it public. We appreciate the update from him though Super :3 I look forward to see what is done with FH in the future now.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down

FH source code becoming public?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: